Getting ready for the wonderful hobby of Bee Keeping
This is our very popular course for those who want to take up Beekeeping in their first year. This course is always fully booked, so please register early to avoid disappointment.
The course agenda includes:-
- An overview history and background to the Honeybee and to Beekeeping
- The make-up of the Honeybee colony; the history of Honeybee ‘nesting’; Honeybee Foraging and Uses within the Hive; and Materials and produce from the hive, and wide ranging uses
- Modern day hives and equipment
- Different types of hive; Beekeeping clothing; and hive tools used to maintain the hive
- The new Beekeeper getting started
- Where to keep bees; positioning the hive; obtaining a Beginners Hive, clothing, and tools ; and obtaining Bees
- The Beekeepers First Year
- Spring, summer, late Summer, and mid-winter honeybee colony and hive inspection and maintenance
- An overview of the range of training and support to cover the hobbyist beekeeper with one or two hives, up to the serious beekeeper with multiple hives and associated activities.
To sign up to the course and register your interest then please click here
This course is run over 5 consecutive Sunday afternoons and will include a practical session covering frame and hive construction. And finally there will be a visit to our honeybee apiary where opening and inspecting a hive will be demonstrated.
The cost of the course is only £95 which includes the very useful BBKA manual (RRP is £18.99) suitable for the beekeeping beginner and a years membership to North Herts Beekeepers Association which includes the BBKA & Hertfordshire BKA. Your NHBKA membership starts as soon as we receive your payment and runs through to March 2020 and your BBKA & HBKA membership will start in March 2019 to coincide with the start of the course. If you are already a member of another division of Hertfordshire BKA then we will waiver our membership costs.
Course Dates are:-
- 3rd March 2019 – Introduction to beekeeping
- 10th March 2019 – Modern day hives and equipment
- 17th March 2019 – The new Beekeeper getting started
- 24th March 2019 – Practical, building a bee hive
- 31st March 2019 – The Beekeepers First Year
- Late April 2019 – Meet the bees, a visit to our apiary
The address for the training sessions is:-
Mrs Howard Memorial Hall
Norton Way South,
Letchworth Garden City
Hertfordshire, SG6 1NX
Lastly, we look forward to meeting you in the very near future.